Monday, February 28, 2011

Bark Butter Recipe


For all that want to know how to make Bark Butter, here is a recipe. The person who gave it to me said go ahead and give it to others. So here it is, you can split it in half. This makes about 8 cups with out splitting it. Note: you can add bird seed, bird nut mix, raisins, or anything else thats is good for birds. I added some things to mine. Be sure to have paper and a pen on hand to write down this recipe, and here it is: In a big bowl, put in 2 cups of lard, add in with that 2 cups of peanut butter (this can be crunchy, smooth, or creamy) stir that together. Then add (it may help to add ingredients separately, stiring in between so its not so hard to stir at once) 4 cups cornmeal, 2 cups rolled oats, 2 cups unsalted sunflower seeds (In place of this, I used bird seed.) 1 tsp. of honey. Stir thoroughly. Let it set in room temperature, and spread on tree bark. Put in container and store in room temperature. And that's the recipe. I want to thank MJ for giving this to me. I hope you will enjoy this (well, maybe the birds will enjoy it.) at least you will enjoy watching the birds eat it. NOTE: DO PUT THE BARK BUTTER UP HIGH ENOUGH SO THAT DOGS CAN'T GET TO IT. AND THEY WILL TRY TO GET TO IT. ~Whitney

11 comments:

  1. I make a similar concoction but use vegetable shortening and melt it with the peanut butter in the microwave first. Then put in the dry ingredients, stir, pour into a pan and let harden. I smear it on pine cones and hang them from trees. One suggestion....I would probably leave out the honey. It isn't necessary and birds really do not need the sugar to make the mix appealing to them. Honey is toxic to hummingbirds I think, and not sure if it is good for other species or not. Just some thoughts! Nice blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Well if we get technical...vegetable fat does nothing for the birds - they need animal fat for an energy source. These guys aren't watching their cholesterol. It is for instant energy. P.S. Hummers do not eat bark butter. And one hopefully knows to use simple sugar(white) for their mixture without red food coloring."
    --- Posted for a reader that could not access Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. The original (commercial product) consists of rendered beef suet, roasted peanuts, peanut oil and corn. It is available at Wild Birds Unlimited on a retail basis but seems like one could tinker around with the quantities/ingredients to come up with your own since $9.99 a container. I can't wait to experiment since I make my own suet/peanut butter cakes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops, forgot to add that some supermarket brands of lard (which is rendered fat)contain bad-for-you trans fats so make sure to read labels if using this for the bark butter. You can render your own fat by getting ground suet from a butcher. Use a stainless steel pot with a thick bottom. I stir often, especially in the beginning. It will become a liquid with lots of meat/solid pieces floating in it. Eventually, if you haven't stirred frequently a few pieces may stick to the bottom. Ideally you keep it at low setting until the bubbles stop rising to the surface. Strain the liquid fat from solids. Some people render twice for longer storage but I render and make my bird cakes all at once and just put them in the freezer. Hope this is useful. I use this for my entire family and give as part of the annual Christmas/holiday gifts (their year of suet for the birds). Everybody, including the birds love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you use the Bark Butter during the winter? I live in Ohio.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! yes, I do use the barkbutter in the winter months.. its not good to use it during the summer.. thanks for the qustion..

      Delete
  6. Thank you for the recipe! I am going to make this with my first graders to go with our unit on birds!
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! you are welcome.. :)the kids in your class will love doing this recipe..

      Delete
  7. Do crows eat bark butter, I don't want to increase the number of crows in my area as all other birds leave when they hear the sound of the crow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hello! I have seen one crow eat the barkbutter that I put out a few years ago.. So, I would say yes.. they do.. if you want to keep crows off of the butter, put the bark butter closer to your house or on your deck put it on a chunk of wood..

    ReplyDelete